This tutorial describes how to use Sawyer with Gazebo the standard Physics Simulator for ROS.
- Make sure you have followed the Workstation Setup tutorial before beginning this section. Sawyer Gazebo is only available for Ubuntu 16.04, ROS Kinetic, and Gazebo 7.
- Ensure the following software packages are installed:
$ sudo apt-get install gazebo7 ros-kinetic-qt-build ros-kinetic-gazebo-ros-control ros-kinetic-gazebo-ros-pkgs ros-kinetic-ros-control ros-kinetic-control-toolbox ros-kinetic-realtime-tools ros-kinetic-ros-controllers ros-kinetic-xacro python-wstool ros-kinetic-tf-conversions ros-kinetic-kdl-parser ros-kinetic-sns-ik-lib
Sawyer Simulator Installation
- From your catkin workspace where the SDK resides, use wstool to install and update:
$ mkdir -p ~/ros_ws/src $ cd ~/ros_ws/src $ git clone https://github.com/RethinkRobotics/sawyer_simulator.git $ cd ~/ros_ws/src $ wstool init . $ wstool merge sawyer_simulator/sawyer_simulator.rosinstall $ wstool update
IMPORTANT: Make sure all simulator repositories update to their proper branch.
$ source /opt/ros/kinetic/setup.bash $ cd ~/ros_ws $ catkin_make
- The intera.sh shell has a special hook for Simulation. Run the Intera shell script with sim specified:
$ ./intera.sh sim
- Start simulation with controllers:
$ roslaunch sawyer_gazebo sawyer_world.launch
Check if the simulator was installed and launched successfully by typing the following commands:
$ rosnode list
This should list the nodes as here.
$ rostopic list
This should list the topics as here.
$ rostopic echo /robot/state
By default, the following messages should be displayed at 100 HZ.
enabled: False stopped: False error: False estop_button: 0 estop_source: 0 ---
Run SDK Examples
- Start Joint Torque Springs example:
$ ./intera.sh sim $ roslaunch sawyer_gazebo sawyer_world.launch *in a new terminal* $ ./intera.sh sim $ rosrun intera_examples joint_torque_springs.py
- Or, Start Simulated Pick and Place example:
$ ./intera.sh sim $ roslaunch sawyer_sim_examples sawyer_pick_and_place_demo.launch
For additional information on the interfaces that are implemented with this release, visit the Simulator API page.
- Please refer to the troubleshooting page Gazebo Troubleshooting