These steps describe the physical setup of a Baxter Research Robot and any purchased accessories.
- 1 Baxter Research Robot (SKU 30679)
- 1 Adjustable wrench
- Optional hardware:
- Parallel Gripper Kit (EPG) (SKU 19436)
- Vacuum Gripper Kit (VG) (SKU 24001)
- Mobile pedestal (SKU 16212)
- 1 Allen wrench for gripper installation (provided)
Outcome of this step
- The Baxter Research Robot is plugged in and ready for use.
- Before you begin: Make sure you read the Baxter Pre-Delivery Guide to prepare the workspace for Baxter and to collect the tools needed to install Baxter.
- If using a pedestal, unpack that first, and follow the provided instructions to assemble the pedestal before unboxing the robot itself.
- Unpack Baxter and follow the provided instructions* to mount Baxter on a pedestal or on a table top with the provided bolts.
- Unpack gripper boxes (if using) and follow the provided instructions to physically and electrically mount grippers to the tool plate on Baxter.
Note: Some steps in the provided instructions refer to the Software User Interface for the Manufacturing Baxter, and can be safely ignored. Gripper configuration is done separately for the SDK.
- Instructions for the linear electric gripper may be found here*.
- Instructions for the vacuum gripper may be found here*.
- Connect power to Baxter.
- Baxter Research Robot will not move arms when first turned on. Untuck the arms manually before powering Baxter on, or wait until your software environment is setup if you would like to use the automated (un)tuck_arms tool.
- Turn Baxter on by pressing the power button on the back panel.
Warning - Instruction Variants:
\* Note that some of the product documentation is geared towards the Baxter Manufacturing Robot and refers to software modules not provided in the Baxter Research Robot.
- For the Grippers, there is no "Train" or on-robot configuration used for the Research Robot. Grippers may be attached or detached at anytime.
* Baxter Research Robot will not move arms when first turned on. Untuck the arms manually before powering Baxter on, or wait until software environment is setup if you would like to use the automated (un)tuck_arms tool.