Announcing the Winners of the IROS 2014 Baxter Contest!
It is with great pleasure that we announce the winners of the IROS 2014 Baxter Contest! The winners will have a chance to demonstrate the amazing work they have done with their Baxter Research Robot in Rethink’s IROS booth in Chicago. If you are at IROS, please stop by to congratulate the winners and check out their incredible demos!
Our first winner is Luis F. C. Figueredo, from Automation and Robotics Lab. at the University of Brasilia (Currently working with the Model-based Embedded and Robotic Systems Group in the CSAIL Lab at MIT). Luis came up with a way of getting Baxter’s arms to work collaboratively in order to manipulate an object. The project was implemented as a ROS package, which works with the Baxter Research Robot and allows the execution of different cooperative manipulation tasks with Baxter’s arms. For more information, check out Luis’s project wiki page, found here:
Baxter Hydra/Oculus Rift Teleoperation
Next we have Jordan Allspaw and Eric McCann from the Robotics Lab at UMass Lowell. They have implemented a new way of teleoperating Baxter using a combination of the Razer Hydra game controller and the Oculus Rift virtual reality head mounted display. You’ll get a chance to see what Baxter sees via the Oculus Rift, and control Baxter’s arms and end effectors using the Razer joysticks. The documentation for Jordan and Eric’s work can be found here:
Thanks to everyone who submitted an entry (check out some others at our Showcase page) – choosing the winners wasn't easy. We’ll see you in Chicago!
-Rethink Robotics Baxter Research Robot Team
IROS 2014 Contest
Who’s going to IROS 2014 in Chicago? Can we help pay your way?
We are pleased to announce a contest for folks who are attending the conference for a chance to show off what they've been up to with their Baxter. Winners will receive up to $1,000 toward their travel costs for the show, and have an opportunity to demonstrate their work live on a Baxter at the Rethink Robotics IROS booth. It’s a great chance to show the community, and the rest of the world, your great work with everyone’s favorite robot.
- Document your work with Baxter on the Baxter Research Robot Community/Showcase Page found here: If your work is publicly available, please include a tutorial for downloading your code and running a demonstration.
- Submit a brief description of the research you are presenting (copy of your paper optional), a link to the wiki page created above, as well as a description of what you would demonstrate at the Rethink booth on Baxter by email to (bbenoit at rethinkrobotics dot com).
- Entries are due by Aug 15th
- Winners will be announced on Aug 30th.
- We’ll work together regarding the logistics including which block of time you will present, and any additional peripherals you may need for your demonstration.
We are excited to be able to offer the opportunity for researchers to perform live demonstrations to their colleagues at a major academic conference with Baxter! Videos are cool, but nothing beats the real thing.
If you have any questions, please let us know. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Terms and Conditions
Please read these contest rules carefully. If you enter this contest, we will assume that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a contest you must be 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- The contest is not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of Rethink Robotics.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter the contest you may enter via an email as stated in the Rules.
- The closing date is as specified in the Rules, Rethink Robotics reserves the right to amend the contest end date at any time.
- The cash prize will be distributed via American Express gift card (s) to the winning parties.
- If you win the contest, we will notify you by email by Aug 30. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be notified via email, and their names will be posted on the contest webpage: http://sdk.rethinkrobotics.com/wiki/IROS_2014
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for any other prize.
- Rethink Robotics reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- Contestants take responsibility for ensuring that their participation in this contest and the receipt of any related prizes complies with the regulations of their organizations.